Moved, new garage setup, brake and clutch pedals mounted

Well its been a little while, that’s mostly because I moved in December to a new townhouse (across the street).  Went from a 2-bedroom, 2-car garage (and sharing with one other person) to a 1-bedroom, 1-car garage, but the garage situation is definitely a step up space-wize, since I’m not sharing half of it and yet the garage is a bit larger than just half the old one.  Anyways, I’ve been going all out on the setup of my workshop, partly since its 100% my space now and also partly because I really need to make as efficient use of the area as possible.

The pictures mostly speak for themselves, and I’ll do a more complete write-up on my Garage page once everything is complete. But basically I have a pretty similar setup to the last shop, + the following upgrades:

  • Folding workbench/welding table
  • Tire rack
  • TONS more shelving
  • TONS more sockets wired up to a 20 amp circuit
  • Harbor freight band saw is now on casters (should have done this a looong time ago)
  • Added a platform on my welding cart for the plasma cutter
  • Lots of pegboard
  • Todo still: drawers, more shelving, and cabinet doors on all open shelving

And hey, I even managed to fit a ping pong table in there with no problem!

As far as the pedals go, it was pretty simple.. just had to drill the holes for mounting, create a jig for cutting larger holes with the plasma cutter, cut larger holes, screw together and voila!  I have to say I think this plasma cutter is my favorite tool by far.. Its so useful and it makes cutting any sheet metal far easier and far quicker (with lots less noise and mess too!) than with a cutting wheel.  Anywho, here are the pics.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.


  1. Tom Eberhard
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

    Hey, nice work man. I started a similar build with 4 other guys last October. Took us forever to get a donor, but we scored a totalled 97 miata with about 60K miles on it for $850. No supercharger tough… It was in an accident. Any tips on how to modify the frame for the rear diff?
    Where are you located? I’m in Boston.

    • Jeff
      Posted February 18, 2010 at 10:09 am | Permalink

      Hi Tom, glad you like it. As far as modifying the frame for the rear diff, you just have to make sure you have the front of the differential mounted very solidly in the frame. There is thousands of ft-lbs of torque trying to lift the diff’s nose when you accelerate in lower gears, and the miata has the PPF to handle that force.. in a locost, you need to improvise.


Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>